Friday, May 30, 2008

Post 1001 - Uncontacted Tribes

Originally I just posted this on Facebook, but I decided to post it here, too, because somehow it just really strikes my imagination. These images are from a plane fly-by over a "village" of people who have had absolutely no contact with the outside world, apparently.

If you look carefully at the pictures, absolutely no modern artifact is to be seen. What did they think of the plane? Do they have contact with any other people at all? What do they live like, what do they think and believe?

As for the past week, school has been officially out but I worked a few days this week with some other teachers on preparing in our school for a new math curriculum on Tuesday and Wednesday. Yesterday, I was helping my brother with some of his master's work. Monday we had a barbecue at mom's house. Sunday I took my brother's kids to Territory Days in Old Colorado City. Basically it is a street fair - they close off the streets and set up lots of vendor selling stuff and giving away samples and freebies and there are some rides and entertainment. I saw several of my former students or other people I know because that neighborhood is kind of the hometown area for the high school I teach at. Saturday I did yard work all day. My brother's son helped. Raking is sooo hard! :) Friday and Thursday last week I worked hard at school, too - moving books and going through and getting rid of about 10 years of old department files. So that's about it!

And here's a meme from Patrick's Place



What was your FIRST job?

Well I had two jobs that summer - one at McDonald's and the other at a Mexican non-chain fast-food place in the mall.

What was your FIRST car?

A 1981 Oldsmobile Omega.

Who was your FIRST grade teacher?

Mrs. Baptist. Here's what I remember about her, mainly: She had permed white hair, she beat certain boys with a yard stick when they misbehaved, she taped a 6 on my desk because I kept writing it backwards, and she wanted to move me to 2nd grade early but my parents said no.


Where did you go on your FIRST ride on an airplane?

I think my first by myself was in college maybe, perhaps to Oklahoma; before that I think my family had flown to Florida to visit my uncle and Disney World. And the first (and only) time I flew a plane was in a circle in California.

Who was your FIRST best friend & do you still talk?

The one girl who I think best fits the criteria of best friend in terms of how much time we spent together and visiting each other's houses, etc., was Angela Premier. Angela Premier and I were "best friends" for most of elementary school but she moved away and gradually we lost touch. I've tried to find her several times but haven't succeeded yet.

Where was your FIRST sleep over?

I don't remember. It might have been a sleep over involving several Brownies at one of the troop members' houses - maybe Christine Glick's house. But I don't remember for sure - it was probably 1st grade.

Whose wedding were you in the FIRST time?

I've only been in one wedding - my brother's, when I was in high school. We're not a big formal event type of family.


FIRST foreign country you went to?

Mexico - Juarez, on a junior high Spanish class road trip. Kids sold candy at concessions after school and at events for a long time to raise the funds. I was the first person in my family to ever leave the country!

FIRST movie you remember seeing in the theaters?

I remember going to the drive-in that used to be down here. My dad had a red pick-up truck and he'd park it backwards and I had a sleeping bag to lay in. I think I remember seing Superman and some Western movie but I fell asleep.

First state you lived in?

The only state I've lived in for any length of time is Colorado.

Who was your FIRST roommate?

Helen Cooney from Canon City, my freshman year in the dorms at college.
We didn't really hit it off.

No comments: