Saturday, January 14, 2012

Fountain Creek Regional Park Winter Count 1/14/12

I didn't take a lot of pictures today because I was in charge of the count sheet, but I went to the winter count at the Fountain Creek Nature Center today.  I was assigned area 7 with Patty Lovekin and some people I met for the first time today.  




This is a white-breasted nuthatch that I got a decent picture of.


This is a hairy woodpecker that was in our assigned area.  It was sitting on the creek edge just north of the bridge on a dead fallen tree.  I didn't have one in my official life list until this.

People have been excited for days that a Harris's sparrow has been hanging around the nature center.  I got lucky enough to see it and get a so-so picture of it, above.  That was a new one for me, as well.

In area 7, we had a few 'maybes' that we didn't count - a possible quail was heard, and possibly saw a virginia rail or other shore bird we didn't have time to ID before we lost it, and maybe a flycatcher.

  Other species we saw included Canada geese, gadwall, mallard, green-winged teal, red-tailed hawk, gulls, rock pigeons, eurasian collared doves, kingfishers, downy woodpecker, flickers, blue jays, magpies, crows, black-capped chickadees, white-breasted nuthatch, robin, starling, tree sparrow, song sparrow,  white-crowned sparrow, juncos, red-winged blackbirds, house finches,  and house sparrows.

No comments: