Saturday, April 02, 2005

Getting things done



Today I feel pretty good about getting several things done. My mom came over a little after eight this morning and we raked my back yard. After she left I worked on the front but didn't finish - I ran out of energy. But, there are now something like 23 bags waiting to be picked up by the garbage truck on Wednesday. The backyard looks much better!

I took my car for an oil change and tire rotation, bought groceries for the month (I splurged and went to Wild Oats since I got my tax return), did laundry, dishes, cleaned the bathroom and vacuumed and did part of my graduate school work. I still have plenty to do, but today was better than me just sitting around.

Mom and I saw Guess Who last night, loosely based on Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, a classic. It was good, it was funny.

The Pope died today. I don't really have any strong feelings about, but I have been interested in following it. I wonder what he is experiencing now in death, and I am also curious to see how the new Pope will be once the conclave makes a decision. For some reason, a large proportion of my co-worker friends are at least nominally Catholic. None of them seem to have been particularly disturbed by the Pope's decline, maybe because a lot of them aren't really practicing Catholics. I would like to see a new Pope take a stronger position in regards to sexual abuse scandals in the church. I read today that Pope Jean Paul II had been the first non-Italian pope in 455 years - amazing.

Anyway, just random thoughts so I'll leave it here for now.

No comments: